The Parish of
Saint Francis Xavier in Katipunan turns 209 years old this
year. Created into a parish in 1796, it was first managed by
an Augustinian Recollect Father Vicente Melendo de San
Cipriano. The Recollects cared for the flock until the return
of the Jesuits in the area in 1870. Fr. Antonio Obach was its
first Jesuit pastor. In 1926, Fr. Nicasio Patangan, a
Dipolognon diocesan priest, took the reins of the parish.
After him, the illustrious roster of its diocesan pastor
includes Fr. Epifanio Baleares, Fr. Felipe Chioket, Fr.
Primitivo Vidallo, Fr. Nicolas Daga, Fr. Bernardino Baura,
Fr. Esteban Gaudicos, Fr. Silvano Amora and Fr. Emigdio
Socias, Fr. Wilson Cadano, Msgr. Alfredo P. Ganason, Fr.
Ranulfo Suarez. Presently, Fr. Enrico Montaño looks after
the flock in the name of the Good Shepherd.
development as mirror of the reign of God is the present
parochial vision. The parish may be traditional in its
structures, considering its various mandated organizations.
But it is open to new approaches. The concept of BEC has
been introduced. It is implemented with the charismatic
groups and the traditional religious groups. Prayer
meetings, in-service training and seminars are conducted
regularly to enhance family values and develop the laity. In
the words of Fr. Wilson, the former parish priest: “the
parochial program helps (people) to develop the attitude of
self-reliance, fidelity, intimacy, courage, endurance and
love… and teaches them to sacrifice for the common good
especially for (the sake) of the common masses”.